I’ve got some catching up to do
Posted on March 28th, 2008 at 3:49 pm by admin

I’ll keep short the apologies for not keeping everyone up to date better. There; you’ve got all the apologies you’re going to get.

We have had lots of stuff happening lately. As the flurry of emails lately would suggest, we’ve been pretty active this late winter. We went collecting, visited Gary Marchal and learned a thing or two, then just wrapped up a very exciting dual workshop/study group meeting. Read the rest of this entry »

Months’ backlog
Posted on July 30th, 2007 at 9:15 am by admin

My apologies for not updating this page any sooner. I have been meaning to add images to the Gallery but I just haven’t taken the time to do that. We’ve had a couple good study groups/workshops since the last update. Read the rest of this entry »

Styling is complete; or …March 24, 2007 highlights
Posted on March 24th, 2007 at 9:15 am by admin

Well, thats a big lie. We did do some work on the big holly I linked to last time. Its a drastic improvement. I believe everyone agrees that what was done needed doing, but it wasn’t completely obvious to everybody at first. We had to remove a good bit of wood to get back to what we have left. The plan is to have a nice broad crown a bit lower on the trunk. We left some trunks pretty long but they’ll be shortened eventually.

Pics after the jump: Read the rest of this entry »

Material for the March 24, 2007 meeting
Posted on February 26th, 2007 at 9:30 am by admin

Here is the holly John is going to let us work on. It should prove to be fun, and give us all something to work on.

Yaupon holly

Feb 24 meeting highlights
Posted on February 26th, 2007 at 9:15 am by admin

After talking about our individual trees, we worked together doing some rough styling on a large Parson’s Juniper Jimmy Kneece grew and let us work on. John offered that tree for the study group to work on over the course of the next several months. It should really be something when we get done with it. Hopefully I’ll try to get some pictures of the stock we’re working on so we can show it off on the web.John asked for some help next month with a monster Yaupon Holly. He wants it reduced in height about 4″ and work on creating foliage pads. I’ve asked John to get some pictures of that tree so that we can see what we’re dealing with before the start of the meeting. I’m not exaggerating (much) when I call this thing a monster; Its HUGE. This may take more than one day to get it cut back into shape but it’ll be a show stopper then.

Meta-information

We are getting lots of interest on the website. We’re getting a decent amount of traffic and have links from some pretty good sites that should really drive traffic towards us. If you know of a place where we ought to have a link, let me know and I’ll work to get a link from the site.

We have several new folks expressing interest in the group each month, but so far we haven’t met everyone whose expressed interest. Hopefully we’ll see each of you soon enough. Thanks for the support.

Inaugural meeting
Posted on January 27th, 2007 at 9:15 am by admin

January 27th meeting highlights

We had a great time getting together. We still have room for more of you so come when you can. The weather was perfect and John played the part of the perfect host. I’d never have thought that a meeting outdoors in January would happen, but it did and was pretty nice.

A few highlights: John and I repotted a nice shimpaku juniper into its first bonsai pot. We all played a part in selecting the front and the planting angle. The roots and movement along the trunk were nice and the foliage has already undergone training. It just needed to move out of its ugly nursery container into a bonsai pot. Its also reassuring to see someone take so many roots off but know from experience the tree is going to do well. Careful inspection of the roots showed plenty of feeder roots available to sustain the tree in the coming months.

While John prepared another tree for repotting I gave a brief overview of wiring on a Japanese Black Pine I styled last Summer. The tree grew too much too fast for me to keep up with it last fall and I managed to leave the wire on too long. I thought I’d get a jump on wiring it so that I can have the wire off by the time the branches start expanding. There were a lot of questions regarding wire size, anchoring the wire, and at what angle the wire should be applied. While I was wiring I tried to answer as many questions as I knew the answers. It turned out to be the best wiring I’d done. I guess I need the accountability.

During the lull of the wiring job, John brought out a Trident that had busted the nursery container it was growing in. It was an absolute behemoth whose roots had escaped down into the ground accounting for its growth out of the pot. He decided to plant this one back into a nursery container after removing the roots that didn’t need to be there. It was interesting to see the difference in roots between the earlier shimpaku and this trident. (I wanted it to go into an over-sized container, but John thought it better in the nursery container.)

« Previous Entries   Next Entries »